The decision to move into a retirement village is a big one. There are many things to consider, such as your finances, your independence and how well you’ll handle the transition out of a community full of friends and neighbors that you’ve known for years. There are several pros and cons to consider and it’s important to weigh each one before making such a commitment.
It’s not difficult to see the many benefits of living in a retirement village.
- An active lifestyle. Whether it’s getting some exercise playing tennis or stimulating the mind over a game of bridge, retirement villages offer an array of activities for residents to stay busy.
- Socialization. Loneliness is a common struggle during retirement. But not so at a retirement village. Residents are surrounded by hundreds of other people of the same age and with similar interests and things in common.
- Safety and security. Seniors can be easy targets for crime but most retirement villages provide a level of security that’s often a step up from what residents previously had in their own homes.
- Good eating. Cooking healthy meals can become more of a challenge as you age. Retirement villages often provide meal services for residents to ensure easy and healthy eating.
- Home maintenance. Leaky faucets or burned out light bulbs can be a nuisance for seniors but these types of home repairs are taken care of by the maintenance staff at retirement villages.
Of course, a retirement village doesn’t come without its disadvantages as well.
- Residents can get worn out. With so many activities to partake in, it’s easy for residents of retirement villages to find themselves exhausted by the end of the day.
- No more chores. Residents of retirement villages no longer have to worry about yard work, cleaning and household maintenance. It sounds like a great deal, but some people actually enjoy doing these types of things.
- No kids around. Some seniors enjoy seeing the children in their neighborhood. You won’t find any children in a retirement village save for the occasional visitor. (Of course, some seniors would see this as a good thing.)
- It can feel expensive. Retirement villages can feel more expensive to some, but that’s largely because all of the living expenses from rent to food and utility bills is lumped into one easy-to-budget number.
- Rules and restrictions. Retirement villages often have rules and restrictions regarding things like noise levels or pets. While some people may see these as a nuisance, many find that they appreciate the ordinances.
To gain a better idea of whether or not a retirement village might be for you, come visit Cambridge Village of Apex and get a glimpse of the good life.
Modern senior living communities are excellent places to call home, but too many people still believe that these communities are cold and impersonal. These people are surprised when they visit one and see that they offer the comfort of home with the amenities of an upscale hotel. In fact, most seniors actually find they prefer life in a senior living community to living on their own.
Why Living in a Senior Living Community is Better than Living Alone
A Chance to Meet People Your Age
Senior living communities are a great place to build new friendships and relationships. When you move in, you will be surrounded by people that are close to your age, with similar life experiences, memories, and values to you. You’ll also have plenty of chances to get to know them with community activities, classes, trips, or walks around the grounds.
No Household Chores
Everyday home maintenance and other chores can become a challenge for people as they age. Senior living communities take these responsibilities off residents’ hands. The staff maintains the landscape and provide housekeeping services allowing tenants to focus on enjoying retirement.
A Packed Activities Schedule
A lot of seniors’ lives start to stagnate when they retire. If they’re living on their own, it can be hard to find the energy to get out of the house and experience new things. Retirement communities make it easy to have an engaging, active lifestyle by offering dozens of activities, trips, classes, and games a week.
Senior living communities offer easy access to amenities that might otherwise be expensive or hard to access. For instance, Cambridge Village of Apex has an in-house spa, fitness center, pool, pub, restaurant, and more.
Seniors living on their own may not be able to get help for themselves in case of an emergency. If a senior falls in their own home, they may not have a way to reach out for help. Senior living communities have 24/7 staffs, so residents are always covered in case of an emergency. Some communities, like Cambridge Village of Apex, even provide on-site medical care.
Visit Cambridge Village of Apex, North Carolina, and see what modern senior living communities have to offer. Schedule a tour to see if it’s a good fit for you.
Needing a little extra help shouldn’t mean giving up your independence. Cambridge Village of Apex, North Carolina, recognizes that some seniors have health and mobility issues that make some daily activities difficult for them. That’s why we offer different levels of senior care services through our partnership with WakeMed.
By using our senior care services, you can get the health you need while still being a part of a vibrant retirement community.
How Senior Care Services Can Make Life Easier
Cambridge Village of Apex offers a variety of different senior care levels and options based on your unique needs. Our accommodations and services make it easy for you to get the care you need while maintaining as much of your independence as possible.
Supportive Care Options
Cambridge Village of Apex has senior care professionals from WakeMed, a licensed home care company, on-site. We offer home care options for seniors in our regular apartments, including services like:
- Stand-by or hands-on bathing or showering assistance
- Medication reminders
- Meal, activity, or exercise escort services
- Daily dressing assistance
We offer 20 reserved rooms for seniors who require enhanced supportive care. Our intensive plans provide daily assistance and can include 24-hour resident monitoring. Learn about our monthly care plans.
We can adjust or customize any of our service care packages based on your needs. No matter what level of care you need, we have a plan for you.
A La Carte Services
We offer a la carte services for seniors who need help with specific activities but don’t require one of our monthly care plans. Some of these care options include:
- Medication assistance
- Personalized walking programs
- Daytime or nighttime wellness checks
- Tuck-in service
- Laundry or linen-changing
- Toileting assistance
- Phone reminders
Some of our a la carte options are not included in our monthly care plans, like:
- Light meal prep (appointment required)
- Respite services to provide relief to families who provide care
- Correspondence preparation or companion service
- WakeMed medication planner boxes
Other Senior Care Services
Just need temporary assistance? No problem. We also offer specific senior care options for unique situations. These include:
- Wellness Lifestyle exercise escort or motivation services
- Welcome Home services, getting new residents accustomed to life at Cambridge Village
- Gastrointestinal “Sick Care” for seniors with an illness that keeps them isolated
- Terminal home cleaning after an illness
At Cambridge Village of Apex, North Carolina, you can get the senior care assistance you need while still enjoying a dynamic and active lifestyle. Request a brochure to learn more about what makes Cambridge Village of Apex such a great place to live.